You can accept our cookies policy or customise your choices.
Please refer to our Cookies Policy for more information.
DUMFRIES and Galloway’s strong agricultural connections are being promoted by staff at the town’s VisitScotland iCentre this month ahead of the return of one of the region’s biggest rural events.Galloway Country Fair
Staff from the tourist information centre, which is located just off Whitesands in the heart of Dumfries, are taking the opportunity to highlight the many agritourism attractions on offer across the region.
They recently visited Barstobrick Holiday Cottages, situated on a dairy farm near Castle Douglas to explore the Faerie Trail, as well as Cream O’ Galloway and sister company The Ethical Dairy with its visitor centre, workshops and farm tours.
In recent years, particularly during the pandemic, agritourism (tourism or leisure on a working farm or croft that produces food or offers holiday experiences) has become a growing travel trend with visitors seeking out authentic rural experiences that connect them to the countryside and Scotland’s natural larder.Visitor Services Advisor Emma Blore“With the return of the Galloway Country Fair, we want to take the opportunity to highlight some of our fantastic rural experiences across the region. “We would encourage locals and visitors to pop into our information centre in Dumfries. With over 60 years’ experience between us, we’re always ready to inspire our visitors, answer any questions and even recommend a Cream O’Galloway ice cream from our freezer!”
Additional agritourism experiences in Dumfries & Galloway include:
· Dalscone Farm Park in Dumfries offers fun-packed activities for families. The 5-Star visitor attraction includes trampolines, climbing frames and a soft play area, as well as a farm shop and animal feeding area.
· Kitchen Coos & Ewes near Newton Stewart offers farms tours and experiences for visitors, allowing them to see Highland cows and Beltex sheep in their natural, farm environment.
· Ernespie Farm, Castle Douglas, is working dairy farm that offers tractor tours (during the summer months), indoor and outdoor play areas, a café and shop.
· Kirkwood Real Farm Driving in Lockerbie offers real farm driving experiences, including quad biking 4X4 off roading and tractor driving, The farm also provides a range of other activities for visitors, such as fishing, mushroom picking and wildlife photography.
· Kilnford Farmhouse Kitchen Cafe near Dumfries serves its own home-reared meats in its restaurant and farm shop.
· Three Little Huts near Gatehouse of Fleet offers self-catering cottages on a working farm surrounded by stunning coastal views.
For more information on VisitScotland iCentres, visit: https://www.visitscotland.com/about/practical-information/vic/
For more information on things to see and do in Dumfries & Galloway, go to www.visitscotland.com
For more information and to find farm experiences and stays, visit www.goruralscotland.com
VisitScotland iCentre staff celebrate farm experiences in Dumfries and Galloway